Thursday, June 15, 2017

The Zenith of Manhood: Listening to the Top Gun Soundtrack While Driving a Minivan

For a few years, my company car was a minivan. Kind of like pocket protectors, once I got past the inherent nerdiness of the van, I was shocked at how practical it was and how much stuff I could put into it. One night I was prompted to write this...
There are certain definitive moments in your life that really let you know your place in the world. You know, times where you realize where you truly stand in the great scheme of things. 
I had one of these moments just the other day. 
No, it didn’t involve a near-death experience. Or a trip to a mountain top. Or a new app on my phone (though sometimes just an update to an app will induce near euphoria). 
You see, owing to an absentee husband, my wife spent four years hustling kids to various school and church events. So when Wednesday nights come around, I always take my younger sons to Cub Scouts. 
Recently one evening I was headed over to pick them up. It was a warm evening and because I was alone, I rolled down the windows. Of my Minivan.  Hey, it was nice outside. 
Cruising, with the windows down in my grocery getter an old but familiar song came on the radio. I turned up the volume. Music cranked, I recognized the song. Which one?  Kenny Loggins. Top Gun Soundtrack.
As went down the road, I realized this is my place in life. Minivan, windows down, “Danger Zone” pumping out the speakers and on my way to pick up my two Cub Scouts. 
Somehow as a kid, I’d figure at this age I’d be listening to the Danger Zone in a Ferrari. Or even Tom Cruise’s F-14. 
But as I laughed at myself that night I realized, no this is where I need to be. A father, a husband, a Dad. Sure it’s my place in life. 
And there is no other place I’d rather be.

No comments:

Post a Comment