Monday, August 10, 2009

Even Porsches Sometimes Come Out Ugly!


As a consumer and an admitted car fanatic (I admit it, I have serious problem) I'm sometimes perplexed by various marketing schemes or campaigns I see. Sometimes I wonder, how on Earth did this ad/ etc make it on the air? Don't they have committees for this?

By way of example Saab's recent "Born from Jets" campaign. Pathetically, because Saabs have about as much in common with Jets as I do with say, uh, Brad Pitt, the ads, in not so small text, were forced to disclaim at the bottom that Saabs no longer had any affiliation with aircraft making. Was that even necessary? Like some guy is going to sue because he later finds out his Saab came from a Chevy instead of an F-16.

Beyond bad ad campaigns are cars that are just plain ugly. Most are familiar with the now infamous Pontiac Aztek (the most "versatile car on the planet" was the pitch). Many who saw the Aztek and were able to control the dry heaving wondered how it made it to production? GM of course has been lampooned for allowing this to happen.

This brings me to the new Porsche Panamera. Besides having a name that sounds like some sort of exotic sandwich bread the car is flat out ugly. It looks like someone took a 911 an put it in some sort of cake decorating tube and squeezed out a car.

Porsche faithful went nuts a few years back when the Cayenne was introduced (the first Porsche SUV). Because the Cayenne is now their top selling model many in the press have been gun shy about second-guessing Porsche's wisdom. I'm not.

I don't care if they sell a million a year. At 100k a car better make me weak in the knees. And this one makes me weak in the stomach.


2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm.... Porche meets Stationwagon and has baby....

    ReplyDelete
  2. some sort of exotic sandwich bread...OMH I was choking on my Strawberry Fanta reading that one. You slay me Dave

    ReplyDelete